Paying for Care

Mental health care is covered by most insurances. On the back of your insurance card, you should find a number for Member Services or Customer Services. By calling that number, you should receive assistance and information about the following:

  • Coverage information
  • In-network providers
  • Cost of services (co-pay, deductibles)
  • Service limitations that you might have  

You can also use the internet to go to your insurance company’s website to find information on providers in your area that take your insurance.  Some providers offer a sliding fee scale. If you’re interested in a provider, call their office to inquire if they have a sliding fee scale. Some providers see individuals at a reduced rate when there is a proven hardship.

If you have limited resources, there are many providers listed that participate with the State-funded behavioral health plans including Medicaid and the Healthy Michigan Plan. If you have that type of insurance, then there are typically no co-pays or deductibles. Because these providers participate in the public system, some organizations have the ability to access Federal Block Grant funds if a person does not have insurance, doesn’t qualify for Medicaid or the Healthy Michigan Plan or is under-insured. If eligible, these funds would cover most of the cost of treatment and support services with a modest co-pay for some services. There are income and residency requirements, and the providers can help you sort that out.

For psychological testing/evaluation at a reduced cost, contact Central Michigan University Psychological Training and Consultation Center (PTCC) at 989-774-3904. They offer services at a lower cost and use a sliding fee scale through their psychology training program.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, Community Mental Health for Central Michigan offers limited crisis-related services free of charge.

Contact them at 989-631-2320.

Veterans should contact their local VA to check on eligibility of receiving mental health services.


Employee Assistance Programs

Many people who work for larger employers have access to a benefit called an Employee Assistance Program. Employee Assistance Programs are designed to help employees with life’s challenges. Professional and confidential help is often available at no cost for such things as:

  • Family and relationship problems
  • Job stress
  • Parenting concerns
  • Grief and loss
  • Alcohol or drug problems
  • Negative feelings such as depression, anxiety or confusion
  • Workplace conflict

These programs provide confidential, short-term counseling for employees and members of their households, and also offer referrals to other community resources.

Check your benefits or ask your workplace’s human resources department to find out if you have access to an Employee Assistance Program. This service can be one of the best ways to get started in securing behavioral health services, and it is usually at no cost to you.